Rhythmic-Solfège Goals and Objectives
The following list represents a basic summary of each year of Rhythmic-Solfège. All of the elements begun in the Eurhythmics program will be continued here, so it is recommended that students have at least one year of Eurhythmics before entering the program, although this is not a requirement. For older students who already have musical experience and would like to enter in the sequence, an audition will be scheduled to determine his/her level.
The global goals of the Dalcroze Rhythmic-Solfège program are as follows:
· The body is the primary instrument, and throughout the sequence we will aim to fine tune its coordination, control, balance, attention, flexibility, focus, spatial awareness, and emotional knowledge
· Musically, we will address the essentials of performance through the body:
o Rhythmic precision and metric vitality
o Internal listening and continued development of the ear
o Emphasis on good intonation and in-tune singing
o Expressive and imaginative music-making
· Increase our students’ capacity for independent and cooperative learning
· Support a joyous and discovery-based environment for music education
· Continue to develop the relationship between the body, the mind, and the spirit and relate that to instrumental study
The Summaries of Musical Goals for the Rhythmic-Solfège sequence do not represent a comprehensive list of all the subject material students will cover throughout the year, nor do they represent any of the corporal, expressive, or imaginative studies that will take place in the classes. Since the focus of this program is musically driven, I have only notated the main objectives that each year will cover so that parents and students can know what level of musicianship is expected at each level. The ages are approximate, especially as the subject material becomes more difficult. However, proper placement is important, as 7 year-old children learn differently than 11 year-old children, both corporally and mentally. If you are unsure about your child’s appropriate level, please contact Jeremy Dittus directly to find a course that will work best for you.
This information is the sole property of Jeremy Dittus. Any use of this information without his consent is strictly forbidden. July, 2010